Update: I'll be building this in as part of the next version of the articles module... just had to create a new details templates and expand the Detail Types available. Should be a great addition!
For one of our projects that is still in development, we need to stream short videos... three new videos will be added everyday and will expire after a week. I looked at the Inventua video player but it immediately had problems playing videos for me when I used FireFox and was fairly rough even under IE... so I did a bit of research and discovered Flash Video... Flash/FLV is the solution of choice for both Google and YouTube, the two biggest streaming video sites. It provides the most seemless solution and is fairly easy to implement. The biggest challenge is creating the flv file, but then you can have Google or YouTube do this for you and they're kind enough to host the video for you as well.... Or, they're are many files out there that can generate FLV files from any other format.
To the left you'll see my Articles module with two sample video entries. I created this in a couple minutes without writing any code (other than manipulating an embed tag a bit).
To Start, I'll just use Google Video and DNN's Text/HTML module to keep things simple...
- Add a Text/HTML module to a page on your DNN site.
- Click Edit Text
- At the bottom of the Text Editor, switch to the HTML view instead of Design
- Paste in this code:
- Click Update... and voila, you should now have a video playing on your page...
- Now say you want to play a different video from Google... go to the page with the video and find the source video (search the source for *.flv) and paste that over the entry that follows "VideoURL=" and before "&autoPlay".
- If you want the user to have to click on the video before it plays, set autoPlay=False